Thursday, June 17, 2010

Beginnings

When I first found out about having cancer, I was really confused and didn't have a clue what I was in for. My brother, Eric, sent me a link to a blog of a girl who had just recovered from my same situation. Being able to read it helped me out tremendously, so I decided to create a blog to maybe help somebody else one day. Also, it is very hard to find time to keep everybody updated. I figured this would be a good, convenient way for everybody to receive updates.

For those of you who don't know, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma a couple weeks ago. Hodgkin's Lymphoma is a form of cancer that affects the lymph nodes. In all started about a month ago when I discovered a lump on my chest, right under my collar bone. I found it on a Sunday, and went to the doctor Monday. The next week I went through a series of tests: an ultrasound, a CT scan, and a biopsy. The biopsy is what determined that the lump was a enlarged lymph node and I had Hodgkin's.

Having an awesome aunt and uncle in the medical field, I was referred to a pediatric oncologist in Columbia. Last Friday, Mom, Dad, Aunt Laurie and I went to meet with the doctor and get some tests done. The doctor is awesome! Definitely worth the drive to Columbia. After a long 7 hours of tests, they did find cancer in more areas besides the one swollen lymph node. Luckily the areas are very small. Just this Tuesday, Mom, Dad, JP, and I went back to Columbia for me to get surgery to place a portocath (it has a fancier name, but I'm not sure what it is) in my chest. The portocath is used for my chemotherapy and any other injections they may need to make such as taking blood, etc. Lots and lots of pain after the surgery, but it does decrease as the days go on. :)
Also, during the surgery I had a bone marrow biopsy to check my bones for cancer. Good news is, my bones are cancer-free! This officially means I am in Stage 2. This means that the cancer affects two or more lymph node regions all on the same side of my body.

Fortunately, I have not experienced any cancerous symptoms yet, other than being tired more often. I am still able to work and continue with normal life. However, I start chemotherapy Tuesday. The chemotherapy consists of 21 day cycles. I am not completely sure as to how many cycles it will take. The last I heard, I will be going on Days 1, 2, and 3 (which is next Tues, Wed, and Thurs) then I will go get more chemo on Day 8. I have no idea how chemo is going to go and how my body will react, but let's hope for the best! :)

I will keep everybody updated as to what happens Tuesday, and anything else that may happen between now and then. Most entries won't be this long, but I had to catch everybody up.

My support systems have kept me strong, and I know they will only continue to be amazing. I am so lucky to have such amazing family members, parents, friends, and such an awesome boyfriend. I really appreciate all the thoughts and prayers.

xoxo,

Tori

7 comments:

  1. You're awesome! You got this! Stay strong and the optimistic Tori that we all love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you started this blog. It is a super way to communicate. My friend Kate had breast cancer and started a blog for the same reason. I will have to send you the link as her site is informative, positive and funny.
    You are in our thoughts and prayers as you begin chemo...here's hoping the side effects are very minor.
    You, like my friend Kate, have an extremely large and strong support system. Can you imagine going through this without it?
    Let us know if you need anything.
    Love and miss you,
    Aunt Judy and Uncle Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog, Tori! I am so proud of you! I know Tuesday will go well! Hang in there and keep up the positive outlook! I know it will help you through the next few months! I love you! Aunt Janey

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great Tor... Just know you are not alone on this journey... we will be there every step of the way and will be ready to cry those happy tears at the end of the road

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck tomorrow. I'm sure you'll do fine. We are all thinking of you and hoping for the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could have been there for your 1st treatments but you were in great hands with the best doctors and hospital around. The pictures are great. Just remember we are with you every step of the way. I love you! Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang i got an amazing cousin. I love you tori:)

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete